1 years if what you plan to do is close to what you were doing before.
5 years if it's a totally new unrelated field.
Many people fantasize about career shifts.
They often underestimate what it REALLY takes to be successful in a new field.
I don't want to discourage you to follow your dreams of course!
I am a life coach! It's my job to tell you to follow your dream!
What brings you definitely one step closer to reaching your goals though, is to make a few reality checks and see if your dream actually matches reality.
Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- What new studies do I need?
- How long do they last?
- What will be my source of income during that time?
- Once I finish, how competitive is the field I am engaging into?
- What's my business or career idea for the future?
- What age will I be when I am done and ready to start?
- If I am starting a new business, do I realize it frequently takes 1 to 3 years before I start making profit? Do I have the resources to survive during that time?
- How passionate am I about this new career?
These reality checks are tests you want to go through before you engage into a new field.
Why? Because you don't want to end up half ways realizing that all this effort was a pipe dream.
Keep your two feet on the ground.
Be realistic about what it truly takes to win in this new career.
If after checking these question, you come up with a solid plan, this means you are READY TO GO!